All of this churn in nonprofit staffing means that there are a whole lot of new supervisors who need training and support. In this episode, Nancy and Sarah talk about what new supervisors need to know and do to be set up for success. They share the highlights from a webinar Nancy and HR expert Skye Mercer led in June 2023, which can be accessed here. By the end of the episode, you’ll know why supervisor training and support matters, what is involved in people leadership, and how to implement a supervisor support plan that helps everyone do their best work.
Question to reflect on before you listen:
How do supervisors in your organization currently get prepared for the role? (Consider anyone who manages other people, whether they are paid or not).
- What resonated with you about this conversation? What would you like to take back to your organization?
- How might breaking up people leadership from management help to think about what a new supervisor needs to learn or practice?
- How can you support peer connections between a new supervisor and others who can provide support or learning opportunities.
Word of the week: Supervise
Supervise means “oversee,” which is best done from higher ground. What does that mean for you and your organization?
MORE RELATED TO SUPERVISOR TRAINING
- Leadership Training Module Overview: Foundations for People-Leader Success — This is the outline of training that Skye offers.
- 5 Ways to Help People Be More Effective webinar (January 2023)